BCOE Highlander Orientation
- Register for an Orientation Session
- Confirm Your Math Placement
- Confirm Your English Placement
- Submit Your College Credit
- Computer Requirement
- Enginuity Hall
- Stay Connected
After you read the following contents of this webpage, if you have additional questions, you can email us at email@example.com by following these instructions:
- Send the email from your UCR email account.
- Use the subject line: First Name + Last Name + Orientation (ex: John Doe Orientation).
- Along with your questions, please include your 9-digit Student Identification (SID) number in the body of the email (86-------).
Register for an Orientation Session
Register here: https://orientation.ucr.edu/
During your orientation session, you will learn more about the Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering and the programs/services in place to help you successfully earn your degree. You will also connect with an academic advisor to confirm your Fall 2021 schedule.
Highlander Orientation is mandatory for incoming BCOE students. BCOE will host 6 orientation sessions during Highlander Orientation on the following dates:
- Session 1 - July 8–9, 2021 (Priority Registration)
- Session 3 - July 15-16, 2021
- Session 5 – July 22-23, 2021
- Session 7 – July 29-30, 2021
- Session 9 – August 9-10, 2021
- Session 10 – August 12-13, 2021
Please note that Highlander Orientation will be delivered remotely in Summer 2021.
To register for a session or ask any questions about Highlander Orientation, please visit https://orientation.ucr.edu/.
Confirm Your Math Placement
All incoming freshmen MUST confirm their math placement by Wednesday, July 7, 2021.*
Unless you are exempt (see below), all BCOE students are required to take the Mathematics Advisor Exam (MAE). The MAE is an online placement test to place first year students into an appropriate entry-level Mathematics course.
- If you have not completed the MAE or need to make arrangements to complete the MAE, please visit https://arc.ucr.edu/mae.
- If you are exempt, we strongly encourage you to make sure your credit is sent to UCR before your orientation session. For AP scores, you should also have a copy of your AP Score Report with your AP scores available during your orientation session. You can access your Score Report at https://www.collegeboard.org/.
*Failure to confirm your math placement will prevent you from registering for a math course during your Orientation session. You can only register for a math course with an MAE score, AP Calculus credit, IB Mathematics credit, or transferrable Math college credit. You will need documentation of this credit to register for the appropriate mathematics course.
MAE Exemptions: Students can be exempt from the MAE with exam credit or college math credit.
Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus (AB) Exam
2, 3, 4, 5
Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus (BC) Exam
3, 4, 5
International Baccalaureate (IB) Mathematics Exam
5 or higher
If you have transferable college credit at the Pre-Calculus (Math 5 at UCR) level or higher from an accredited institution of higher education, please visit assist.org to verify how your Mathematics course transfers to UCR from a California Community College.
Confirm Your English Credit
The Entry-Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) is a University of California reading and writing proficiency requirement that all first-year students must satisfy.
The ELWR must be satisfied either before beginning courses at UCR or during the first year of enrollment.
You can satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement by earning qualifying test scores and grades or passing the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE).
For more information on the ELWR and the AWPE, please visit https://uwp.ucr.edu/elwr
Submit Your College Credit
Some of you will come to UCR with college credit, including:
- Advanced Placement (AP) credit – Please work with College Board (https://www.collegeboard.org/) to make sure your AP scores are sent to UCR before your orientation session.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) credit – Please work with the International Baccalaureate (https://www.ibo.org/) to make sure your exam scores are sent to UCR before your orientation session.
- Transferrable credit from another college/university – Please make sure you send official transcripts to UCR before your orientation session. https://admissions.ucr.edu/myucr#where_do_i_send_my_transcriptsdocuments
Please make sure you submit all of your standardized testing scores (AP, IB, etc.) and final transcripts from your high school or former educational institutions before your orientation session. For credit that impacts your Fall 2021 schedule, we will need documentation of this credit to help you with registration.
Please review this webpage for all the details related to the college’s laptop requirement:
Enginuity Hall is a living-learning community (LLC) designed for students in the Bourns College of Engineering. To learn more about Enginuity Hall, please visit this webpage:
To request an LLC, be sure to select the community you're interested in when you submit your Residence Hall Contract in the MyHousing portal (myhousing.ucr.edu).
If you have any questions or concerns regarding access to the MyHousing portal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email is the primary way we will reach out to you with important information and requests to help you transition to the Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering. Please continue to check your R’Mail account for all updates!